Sunday, March 18, 2007

The perfect ride

I was working again by 2:30 p.m. or so, and my first call was to the KFC at the NAS Naval base. KFC is across the street from the pier where the U.S.S. Nimitz is tied off. It's a mammoth ship, with the number "68" emblazoned several stories above street level. The History Channel and Military Channel show footage of these Nimitz class aircraft carriers all the time, but TV doesn't do justice to their size and majesty. One thought enters my mind whenever I'm this close to one: we're invincible (we'll discuss supercavitating torpedoes later).

My camera is with me, as usual, but I'm not so foolish as to take photos inside a Naval facility. Others can try that.

I picked up two young ladies who wanted a trip to Wal-Mart. They were from Florida originally, and were friendly and talkative. Fare: $38 plus a $2 tip.

It was the perfect ride.

SIDEBAR: I tried calling the owner of the cab today to get the registration stickers for the license plates (see last post), but she isn't working today. I'm risking a ticket again.

It must be noted that in my two years of driving cab, I've only been pulled over twice -- once for having a headlight out, and then last night for expired registration. Each time I had no prior knowledge of the problem. San Diego police didn't notice, but U.S. Navy police were on it. Good for them.

No comments: