Thursday, April 5, 2007

Marzetti?

It's 4:24 p.m.

I am on point at the cab stand nearest Marzetti's house.

He usually calls at 4:25 for a pickup.

Fingers are crossed. Chanting over chicken feet is concluded. Beginning to hold my breath. Considering vacating -- move to a less active stand, declare a flat tire, announce I have Lou Gehrig's disease. Anything to avoid the S.O.B.

I reach for the mic...

"95, pick up Mr. Marzetti."

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

There is a bright side. All of my rides tonight will be better. I did my penance early. The bastard is gone. Except I could get him on his way home. What a bastard.

UPDATE: It's 6:06 p.m. Marzetti usually calls for the return trip anywhere from 6:25 to 6:40. I'm at a desolate cab stand, far from him, surfing the web and drinking a double Americano. After he calls, and some unfortunate cab driver has to drive him, I'll move to a better stand.

UPDATE: It's 6:30 p.m. Marzetti is about to call. I'm listening to the radio, and the drivers at that stand are desperately trying to avoid being the penguin who falls into the water and gets swallowed by the great white. The man on point vacated. No. 2 and No. 3 just called "holding", which means they have limited themselves to calls from the nearest hotel. The rules say a driver must call holding when first taking a position on stand, but the dispatcher tonight allowed it anyway.

UPDATE: Vito got Marzetti. Poor guy.

No comments: