Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Great Roman history site

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For anyone even remotely interested in Roman history, I recommend the Encyclopaedia Romana. It is one of the best websites I have found on the subject. Instead of the usual endless list of dates accompanied by small, poorly written paragraphs, it is a collection of well written essays on a variety of subjects. If the essays were published in book form, I'd be the first in line to buy a copy.

The author is James Grout, who includes this in the preface: "I have a master's degree in English from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and am on the faculty at the University of California, San Francisco. But it is my library privilege at the Berkeley campus, where seemingly no book or journal cannot be found, that has made this work possible."

No comments: