Thursday, July 31, 2008

Witnessed a bad crash

I had just cleared at 1st St and Orange Ave, out on Coronado Island, and was waiting in the left turn lane on Orange at 4th. Fourth leads to the bridge going back to San Diego. It was 2:15 a.m., 15 minutes after bar close. A black Toyota Celica was coming towards me on Orange (it's a boulevard, separated by a large median), and ran the red (I think), broadsiding a white car that I never saw closely.

I heard and felt the huge impact in the middle of the intersection, maybe 30 feet from my car. By the time I turned my head and looked, the cars had already hit, and were coasting to a stop. Thick smoke was billowing out from under the hood of the Celica.

My green arrow came on, but I didn't move. Before I could think about what to do, a Coronado cop was on the scene. He must have been very close. I made my turn, figuring he could handle it. In my mirror as I drove away I saw a second police cruiser show up with his cherries on. It was the worst crash I've seen in three and a half years of driving cab.

No comments: