Thursday, July 31, 2008

Comic-Con

San Diego survived another Comic-Con, where 125,000 people descended on us to enjoy some pop culture. The LA Times had a front page story on opening day that said the event began more than 30 years ago as a place to buy, sell, and browse comic books. Today it's about comic books, movies, animation, TV and the web.

We saw a spike in business, but we weren't extremely busy. In past years I've driven people dressed up like Superman and Chewbacca, but I had no people in costume this year. I actually drove more people who were working at the event than attending it as a fan. These included Sean Phillips, with Yahoo Movies, and he was a very nice guy. I brought him to his hotel, and we had a nice discussion the whole way.

Another guy I drove is the owner of PopCultureShock.com. He was also a really nice guy, though I didn't get his name. He was in San Diego to cover the event for his website.

I also drove several groups of animators working on various films. Star Trek is the only film I remember specifically. One group was discussing, among other things, how it's expensive to pay people to create digital models from scratch, and how money can sometimes be saved by purchasing pre-existing models.

1 comment:

Brent McD. said...

the L.A. Times is correct. today the Con is about movies, TV, the web, toys, animation, and (oh yeah) maybe a little comics on the side. hollywood money talks!