Thursday, July 31, 2008

The cost of avoiding Reed

I got a bell to an address I didn't recognize, so I asked the others on the stand if they've heard of it. Nobody had. It was also from another cab stand, and I knew we had at least one car over there, so I asked about it on the radio. Dispatch said there is one on that stand, but he announced he's "holding the hotel," which means he's only taking calls from the hotel he's close to.

My bell also requested to use a credit card, which I despise. I lose 10% and have to wait 2-3 weeks to get the credit. It turned out to be a very nice lady going all the way to La Jolla, and after a $52 ride, she upped it to $62 with the tip.

When I returned to our zone I stopped by the stand where the guy was holding the hotel. It was Zach, a good guy, and he was seething that he missed the La Jolla ride off his own stand! He was tracking Reed's movements, and thought the next call would be Reed wanting to go home, so he held the hotel to avoid him. Ha! That cost him.

More posts on Reed can be found here. If the link doesn't work, just search for Reed in the search box at the top of the blog.

No comments: