Saturday, October 6, 2007

BBQ and cowboy boots

I drove an Irish expat, perhap 60 years of age, who was in San Diego for a business convention. He has lived in Texas for many years, and said he loves it. I didn't ask exactly how long he had lived in the US, but, judging by his barely discernible accent, I'd say he's been here a long time. He had two interesting observations:

1. "I have never met a Texan who didn't like barbecue, no matter how bad it tasted," he said. When I asked if he thought any BBQ was good: "I can't stand it." Apparently Ireland isn't a BBQ kind of place.

2. His friends have been trying to get him to wear cowboy boots for years. "I can't stand them, either."

7 comments:

Paradise Driver said...

Did he speak with an Irish accent, a Texas accent or a mixture?

I know when I get off the plane at DFW, I can barely make it out of the terminal before my old "Texican" accent surfaces.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you were from Texas. You went from TX to San Fran, then Hawaii?

The guy had a very slight Irish accent. If you weren't paying attention, you might think he was from the Midwest.

--Ted Martin

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure all Texans would count me as a Texan; I was born in Oklahoma and I've lived in Texas 27 of my 41 years.

I do not like barbeque. I don't like barbeque sandwiches, I don't like barbeque ribs, I don't like barbeque chicken, I don't even like the smell of barbeque smoke. I don't like barbeque at Goode Company. I don't like the smushy white bread and dill pickle chips served with barbeque. I don't even like barbeque baked beans.

But I do like your blog!
-Crystal

Brent McD. said...

blasphemy! how can you not like goode company bbq??!? -- from a native houstonian living in san diego
;-)

Brent McD. said...

oh yeah, i hate cowboy boots too. i was a city slicker. heh

Anonymous said...

To brent mcd -

Sorry, but a combination of sugar, tomatoes, garlic and smoke does NOT make meat taste better!! Goode Co Taqueria, yum yum, but Goode Co barbeque? Yuck!

-Crystal

Anonymous said...

This is great! We have a BBQ war.